Today I’m talking to Andrew Westover, Eleanor McDonald Storza Director of Education at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, about how values-engaged teaching can transform gallery experiences and foster deep connections.
Andrew Westover leads the learning team at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, focusing on connecting people with art and ideas to inspire civic life. In this role, Andrew develops initiatives, partnerships, and diverse programming to engage Atlanta's communities.
Andrew previously served as the Keith Haring Director of Education at the New Museum in New York, shaping the vision for the education department. Their diverse experience includes roles at the J. Paul Getty Museum, the National Museum of Wildlife Art, the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn Museum, and the Phoenix Art Museum.
In this chat we’re exploring:
- what values-engaged teaching is in a gallery setting and how it can be applied.
- the importance of self-knowledge and understanding your own values as essential foundations for effective teaching in a gallery setting.
- the 5 values that underpin the work of High Museum of Art’s education department and how their work is rooted in listening, engaging in dialogue, building consensus, and designing spaces for various communities.
- how four key words—experiences, identities, affinities, and beliefs—serve as a bridge in connecting the museum's collections and exhibitions with its visitors.
- the importance of genuine connection in the museum, and how connection is essential for experiences to be meaningful and not merely a superficial interaction.
- practical strategies and examples of how to navigate conflict during gallery discussions, including a detailed example of addressing emotional responses.
Andrew concludes by sharing tips for listeners looking to adopt similar strategies for values-engaged teaching in their practice or organisation.
There is so much in this conversation - you might want to have a pen and paper handy!
- High Museum of Art’s Educational Values and Methodologies
- Museum Magazine article: Transcending Dogma
- Edmonia Lewis’s sculpture Columbus: Columbus - High Museum of Art
- Teaching in the Art Museum by Elliott Kai-Kee and Rika Burnham
- Forum for Leadership in Art Museum Education (professional network for heads of education at art museums): Forum for Leadership in Art Museum Education - My FLAME (gatherlearning.com)
- High Museum of Art LinkedIn and Instagram
- Andrew Westover LinkedIn and Instagram
Download my free Slow Art Guide
Download the Ultimate Thinking Routine List
Join the Slow Looking Club Community on Facebook
Download the free guide - how to look at art (slowly)
Curated newsletter by Claire Bown